Did you ever feel you had symptoms of Depression?
I am 30 now and have been a very positive person throught my life, still, besides best of environment around me, I have felt sad, alone and disgusted many a times. Not always did my efforts yield desired result, I failed, I lost, I was despised and not wanted by people at times, all these things resulted in a lowered self- esteem, denigrated prestige, broken heart and negative mental conditions. But thankfully, I could easily overcome such conditions all the times. But when such feelings become unsurpassable and stretch for long periods, it is a sign that ones normal life is not normal any more. It needs attention and a medical help probably.
Symptoms of depression may worsen if left untreated for long and may not normalize for several years. THIS IS AN ALARMING SITUATION. Suicides, attempts of self-injury, anxiety and loss of control are few of many outcomes of overlooked symptoms of depression. It has been found that over 40% (Approx.) of total depression cases never get diagnosed for their ailment. Recognizing symptoms of depression is key to its treatment.
If the treatment is not done in time, it can be life threatening. Statistics tell that more than 10% people suffering from depression commit suicide ultimately.
Let’s take a look at the major symptoms of depression:
- Easily tired and low energy levels
- Difficulty in making decisions, remembering details and concentrating
- Feeling of disgust, lowered self-confidence
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Feeling of hopelessness
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping
- Loss of interest in pleasurable hobbies, even sex
- Persistent pains/aches, heavy head, cramps, stomach problems
- Irritability and restlessness
- Thoughts of Suicide, attempts of suicide or self-injury
Now, after having gone through symptoms of depression, it is extremely important to understand that a person suffering from depression may want to commit a suicide at any point of time depending on the severity of his/her condition.
Let’s take a look at the alarming signs of a fatal suicide attempts due to depression:
- Consistently talking or thinking about death
- Deep sadness, loss of interest in things one used to take care of, troubled sleep and eating habits
- Taking risks that could lead to death
- Fake happiness, sudden mood switch from sad to happy or vice-a-versa
- Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
- Making depressed statements projecting oneself as a worthless object needed by none.
- Straight away talking about suicide
- Excessive closeness to people or things one care about
- Being sad even in happiest of times
These signs will help you figure out any person trying to walk the way to suicide. It is important to remember that any person with symptoms of depression might someday take a fatal step and end his life. But the onus is on us (mentally fit people) to identify such friends, colleagues, neighbors or even strangers and get them treated.
Thanks for reading; I hope it must have been helpful. I will be back with more.